No announcement yet.

Justin's 5 gal EcoPico

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank looks great Justin....even better in person. Hope you come back strong this time

Comment

still havent been able to add any fish yet, but i have added alot of new coral to the setup and it is coming along nicely. Here is the current stock list: neon green hammer coral, green star polyps, pink birdsnest, red/purple monti cap, blue rimmed monti cap, 2 acan echinada colonys, 2 acan lord frags, some type of watermelon chalice, dragon soul favia, some other green favia, orange/pink ricordea (2 mouths), and a single head of trumpet coral. What do you think? any advice/suggestions. Also i plan on getting a tailspot blenny soon, what other fish would be cool in this tank? Thank! And of course pics!

Comment

Those taken from your underwater camera?

Comment

yep!, not underwater though

Comment

Ah, ok.

Still a really nice setup, if you're going small fish , goby are always a good idea.

Comment

Looks nice! Great coral additions! Be extra extra careful on your water parameters with the SPS. They won't be very forgiving. I'm not going to be putting any in my 8 gallon for this reason, plus I don't have the light for them. How many watts is yours?

A tailspot blenny would be a perfect addition. I'm only adding a tiny clownfish to mine. I wanted to add a second fish but with no skimmer it would be a recipe for algae blooms (still doing weekly water changes though). I am adding a shrimp though.

I personally wouldn't add a second fish unless it was the smallest possible. Maybe coral goby...

Comment

Thanks Joe! I am going to start doing daily, one cup, water changes. Im hoping that the supplements found in the salt will be enough to support these sps, if not i have all of the supplements i use for my 40b. the light is a total of 9 watts, which to be honest, does not seem like quite enough. But i have seen growth in my corals for sure, such as with my hammer coral where it started out with 1 head and has 3 now. The light for sure grows lps, but these are the first sps i have in the tank. Ecoxotic says the light "will support your most light loving corals" so we will see. The montiporas and the birds nest all have nice polyp extension, so at least they appear healthy, but only time will tell if they will grow or not.

What type of shrimp are you adding? I wasnt sure if my system would be big enough for a cleaner or fire shrimp, what do you think? I was thinking instead of maybe getting 3 sexy shrimp to host my hammer.

Comment

You should get one of these.
                  Griessingei Goby (Discordipinna griessingeri)

I had one in a 40b and it's the most interesting fish I have owned. They look like butterflies in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thats a cool fish! Any info on it? Feeding, ease of care, where to obtain?

Comment

Originally posted by jwestwood View Post
                      Thats a cool fish! Any info on it? Feeding, ease of care, where to obtain?
                      ya, they look awesome! but i have never seen or heard of it before.

Comment

They are very cool and really hard to come by. I got lucky when I found one. Care is easy but these fish are tiny. The one I had was about half an inch and didn't get any bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

FTS 1/25/14 I have added quite a bit more coral to my setup and im really starting to like the looks of it. The frag of monti on the top is only temporary until my other tank is ready for it. I have started doing daily one cup water change to help keep all of the levels straight (especially for all of the sps). Still havent made it down to the aquarium in old town to get a tailspot blenny, but i assure you its coming!!!
                          Also check out the second pic, when i turned on the lights a few days ago my dragons soul favia had its sweeper tentacles max extended. not sure if it was just picky about the new additions in the tank or if it was just hungry, either way i made sure its far enough away from other corals.

Last edited by Justin; 01-27-2014, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Looking good! That's one hungry favia!

Comment

Wow, that's a lot of life in a small volume. Surprised that you have such good polyp extension considering the amount of allelopathy that must be being produced. You should add a black background.

Comment

Originally posted by jwestwood View Post
                                Wow, that's a lot of life in a small volume. Surprised that you have such good polyp extension considering the amount of allelopathy that must be being produced. You should add a black background.
                                I was kind of surprised about that too, but hey, im not complaining, if anything i thought that i would have to remove the large leather because of the chemicals they release when stressed, but everything seems to be ok. I might move it back to my other tank anyway, because of its size. And i actually just added a black background yesterday and it looks so much better. Ill post pics later.
                                Last edited by Justin; 01-27-2014, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X