Justin's 5 gal EcoPico

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Justin's 5 gal EcoPico

I got a small heater probably 50w that I don't use...trade me something or cash.

Comment

is it smaller than the one i have in the tank?

Comment

Oh.....probably the same size. Lol

Comment

ok so slight update, I tested my parameters and the ph was kind of low (7.3 ish) so i added some ph superbuffer and kh builder to help with that. Other than that everything looks good, NO2 - 0, NO3 - 5, NH4 - 0. I am going to do a gallon water change this evening and try to wait a few more days before adding coral. I dis put a nerite snail in their 2 days ago and he is doing fine so thats a good sign.
          Also, as far as stocking go, i really want to put a mini-maxi nem in there and have a couple sexy shrimp host it. The only thing is i would be afraid to put my favorite yellow watchman goby in the same tank, because i hae heard that it is possible that the nem might eat them because they are a bottom dweller. Thoughts?

Comment

Justin's 5 gal EcoPico

Justin, chasing ph is going to cause you problems. You need to be testing dKH not ph. Your ph can be 7.8 while your dKH is 16. And that's way to high for dKH, dKH should be between 7-12. You will be chasing ph to get it up forever, with out adding ozone and that tank is to small to do. Get a dKH test kit and throw the ph one away!

Sent from my iPhone by spaceships!
            -----Alex & Amanda-----

Comment

ok will do thanks alex! i have been saving up and hope to do a a order from bulk reefsupply and hope to get some test kits and suppliments from them

Comment

Justin's 5 gal EcoPico

Good deal. Just remember in a small tank the smallest little amount of a additive or supplement can make a huge change. Honestly with a good salt you shouldnt have to dose much if did a 1 cup Water changes daily..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                -----Alex & Amanda-----

Comment

+1 for Alex. You should not ever have to add a pH buffer. Only alk, calcium, and magnesium. If your coral load is light enough, you may be able to get by with relying on water changes alone if your salt mix is high in these elements. Small tanks like these are very easy to adjust these numbers. Just don't do it too quickly.

I'm always extra cautious when adding animals to a new tank. I wouldn't add any corals or delicate fish until at least a couple of months until your tank is more stable. Crabs, snails- go for it. Maybe a fish to help the cycle but I wouldn't want to risk an expensive coral this early in the game. Remember that nothing good happens quickly in reef aquariums.
                  Last edited by jwestwood1; 03-12-2013, 10:18 PM.

Comment

about adding stuff< what if the params are fine and stable in a couple weeks?

Comment

Not sure how often everybody test their tank but I'm testing DKH every 2 days and CA & MG every 3 days. My CA & MG stay almost the same everytime (450 and 1375) but DKH is the one swing the most....plus I'm dosing too so it varies from 9.0 to 10.5.

Im using red sea coral pro salts and their parameters are pretty stable......like Alex said, with that small tank you got, a cup of WC will definitely help.

Comment

I've heard of folks waiting up to a year before adding macro organisms. This sounds crazy but it helps big time in building up plankton, tank stabilization, etc. Tanks are a little crazy when they are new. Its called "New Tank Syndrome" and there is always an elevated risk to the livestock that you add during this time. Testing your water is great but it doesn't always give you the full picture of your aquarium.

Comment

ok so what im getting from everyone is this: do a one cup water change instead of a half gallon? and what is the minimum amount of time i can wait before adding more sensitive coral live sps and chalices?

Comment

Justin's 5 gal EcoPico

On a 5 gal change 1 gal would be 20%. I would just do daily 1-2 cup water changes. This will keep params inline and nitrates down. No doesn't seem like much But in a tank that size doesn't take much

Sent from my iPhone by spaceships!
                            -----Alex & Amanda-----

Comment

ok thanks so much for the advice! i am making a bucket of saltwater now and i wil just keep it by the tank and change 1 or 2 cups each day

Comment

Nice looking tank! I'll bet you are anxious to get some critters in there. So how much evaporation are you getting on this little nano? If you are not doing some kind of top-off, you might need to adjust the new saltwater to accomodate for evaporation. And if you don't want to do a water change every day, a 10% weekly water change is what a lot of people recommend - so your thinking of 1/2 gallon a week could work too - plus that way you could syphon some detritus from the bottom.

We make up new saltwater & let it set before using it, but keep it in a bucket with a lid & a powerhead running to keep stuff out of it & to keep it oxygenated. Regarding the PH being low, you might test your new saltwater & if the PH is low there, you could try putting an airstone in a bucket of water (presumably RO water) for a day before you add salt mix to it.
                                ~ Lillian ~ Bartlett PhotoArt

Comment

Working...
                                X