Very high nitrates!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very high nitrates!

Hey everyone, so I'm new to the saltwater world but I have a 65 gallon tank and I saved all the water from the person I got it from all the levels are perfect except the nitrates they are around 160 and I don't know how to get them down!

Sent from my SM-G935T using ACAC mobile app

Several water changes...... if you do a 50% water change they'll cut in half to 80.... etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Did you recently move the tank? Did it have sand in it? Did you reuse the sand?

If you can give us a bit more info about your tank we can help. Water changes are a good start at reducing them. But you need to. E using water that doesn't have nitrates in it. Rodi water is your best choice.

Be more than happy to help so give us some info and bit us with questions!

Alex

Sent from my iPhone using ACAC
      -----Alex & Amanda-----

Comment

Yes I moved it I just bought it off someone who said they've been doing it for 10 years and got lazy so I think it's due to lack of maintenance and it has sand I think it's crushed coral it's black and white and pretty think. I didn't a water change today about 30%

Comment

If you used the sand sand/crush coral they had in the tank there is a good chance it's pretty nasty if tank is that old. Might be best to go with some new sand to help

-----Alex & Amanda-----

Comment

Agreed with Alex. If the sand is that old, you would better with new sand and plus we don't keep crush corals nowadays because they trap too much debris.

Comment

What are you using for s water source ??

-----Alex & Amanda-----

Comment

So in order to put new sand in would I have to drain the tank? And I've been using ro water from the LFS

Comment

Well you may not have to drain it completely but would be easier to yes. What I would recommend would being that it's only a 65. See if someone has a spare 40 or 55 could borrow. Set it on floor on other side room. Drain water from your tank into it. Then move your fish and rock over to it along with current makers. If using a canister filter or hang on use it also.

Also at the same time have 20-30 gal of new saltwater ready to go to refill the 65. Have it in a brute trash can with heater and power head. Mixed to proper salt levels and ready once sand is changed.

Once 65 drained remove all substrate and clean out all the gunk from the tank. Add new sand. Place sand bags on top of new sand and refill with new water and then top off with tank water from fish holding tank. Move rocks to 65. Then move fish once rock work is how you like it.

Lot of work but be worth it in the end verse fighting the issue forever

-----Alex & Amanda-----

Comment

Alex is our reef guru here

I agreed with his comment 100%. Your hobby will become 10 times more expensive if you don't start right at the beginning.

Aquarium old town has a dry sand called special reef floor that sold for $45 for 40lbs bag, one of this bad will be enough for your 65gal. You don't want sand to be too big or too small. Too small like sugar size will constantly create a sand storm by powerheads and you do want to avoid that. Too big of sand like crushed corals will trap debris then will eventually turn into nitrates factory.

Keep asking questions man, we will lead you to a right away and you will enjoy this hobby more.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks guys I appreciate the help I'll let you know how I make out!

Comment

No problems ask all the questions you have.

-----Alex & Amanda-----

Comment

Working...
                        X