Red ear slider

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red ear slider

So some how I became the person in my family to take critters to if your not sure how to care for it. But anyways here are a few pic of our news pet lol. And I have been scowering the net to find all I can about the care this little guy needs.
    Attached Files

Pretty cool Stephen.

Ryan (the admin) used to have turtles so he might get you some pointers.

Comment

Awewweee I used to ha e about 7 of them. Kept them in a tank during winter and in a pond outside during summer
      Using Tapatalk

Comment

I did too. Had him in a 55g with 3/4 full of water. They are really easy to care for. I had a place where he could perch out of the water, and also had a heat lamp. I think I primarily fed him shrimp pellets when it was your size, but gradually fed him minnows when it got bigger. One thing about turtles, they dirty the water in a hurry. And grow fast.

Comment

1+to Daniel.
          We had a canister filter on our tank and it had to be cleaned every couple of days or you could smell it. But always lots of junk to clean.
          Mine used to get on top of each other under the lamp. Pretty sure that's how they escaped too though. Lost one for about 2 weeks one time. Found him and he hissed at me.
          Using Tapatalk

Comment

I redid his little tank so he has alot more room to swim and a place for basking
            Attached Files

Comment

I can't wait for another $1 per gallon sell at petco. This guy is going to out grow the tank his in. I hoping a 40D would work for a few years.

Comment

Love it.

I have a coworker that has lot of dart frogs. He's an extreme collector...wondering if anyone here has other hobbies beside reef?

Comment

I have dart frogs also

Comment

We have 2 aquatic turtles also. We've had them for about 3 years. They need a UVB light. This is mandatory for their long term health. They need this to help process calcium. Without it they will eventually run into health problems such as Metabolic Bone Disease. We use the PowerSun UV (100watt) and run the Turtle Clean 30 External Canister Filter. This filter really works great for these guys because their messy eating habits haha. I clean mine once a month and never notice a smell. Also, check into Zoo Meds Turtle Tubs. There a little pricey, but work great for these guys Hope this helps a little.
                    Last edited by T.Shaw; 11-20-2014, 05:48 PM.
                    There is pleasure in the pathless woods. There is a rapture on the lonely shore. There is society where none intrudes, by the deep sea and music in its roar. I love not man the less, but Nature more...

Comment

I already have the UVB light. I have been changing about half of the water amout on weekends. Which is about 5gals.

Comment

What do you guys think? If I put some convict cichlids in with the turtle would they be fine with him.
                        Last edited by odie; 11-21-2014, 08:29 PM.

Comment

The turtles will definitely try to eat them. Just depends on how many fishie hiding spots there are that the turtles can't get too. I have had them eat some of my cichlids and then I have also had some cichlids that they just could never catch and eventually for the most part gave up trying to eat.

But turtles will pretty much try to nip about anything that moves.. haha
                          There is pleasure in the pathless woods. There is a rapture on the lonely shore. There is society where none intrudes, by the deep sea and music in its roar. I love not man the less, but Nature more...

Comment

Well I thought I would ask. Because there is a lady at my job that has 50 little convict cichlids. That she is selling 4 for $5. She has an add up on Wichita pets buy/sell on Facebook. Anyways I thought I might pick up a few to have in there with him so the tank would look better.

Comment

Heck why not look more natural with a few fish imo and if he eats th not like was $20 a fish
                              -----Alex & Amanda-----

Comment

Working...
                              X