No announcement yet.

Now what?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are totally buddies so far. But to be honest, the kole is looking pretty rough. Hopefully the meds work enough to help him fight it off.

I'll try to find some no ich marine locally. And a cheap 55.

No signature required.

Comment

That sucks Greg. One thing after another sometimes in this hobby.

Quarantine all the way for preventing ich but its such a pain having another tank set up. I wouldn't mess with the cleaner shrimp unless you just like them- they might help a bit with ich in the ocean but their effects on the disease are just too minimal IMO.

No experience with the ich cure.

No luck here with treating copper either. Have not been able to get the right copper amount to kill the ich and not the fish. I guess I don't have much to offer. Why did I comment Lol.

Comment

My thought with cleaner shrimp is it helps remove the parasite from the fishes gills allowing them to breath easier and eat

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
        -----Alex & Amanda-----

Comment

Kole Tangs are bad for ich. Had 2 die from it. Did you mail order your fish or buy locally? Locally is safer IMO.

But the SAFEST fish are from fellow hobbiest. They are usually long established and almost always ich-free.

Comment

Tangs are just more prone to get ich than an average fish. I've decided that as I'm restocking my tank from my earlier fallow period (a slow process for me now since I QT one to two fish at a time for a month), that I'll add a small Hippo Tang (one of my favorites) last, as every time I add a new fish with an existing Hippo, the Hippo gets stressed and is more susceptible to catch anything introduced to the tank. I hope by adding it last, it'll go thru less stress and increase the odds against any infection.

Comment

Originally posted by ablaze View Post
              I'll add a small Hippo Tang (one of my favorites) last, as every time I add a new fish with an existing Hippo, the Hippo gets stressed and is more susceptible to catch anything introduced to the tank. I hope by adding it last, it'll go thru less stress and increase the odds against any infection.
              Interesting take on adding a blue tang. I was considering adding one. My idea was to introduce it first in case it did develop ich. This way it wouldn't wipe out a tank full of fish.
              Last edited by jwestwood1; 09-02-2015, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Both tangs were bought locally. As cool as they are, I'm not sure I'll purchase any more.
                So cupramine is a bit of a balancing act? It didn't sound as difficult but it is good to know it can be iffy.

No signature required.

Comment

Originally posted by jwestwood View Post
                  Interesting take on adding a blue tang. I was considering adding one. My idea was to introduce it first in case it did develop ich. This was it wouldn't wipe out a tank full of fish.
                  There are good reasons for adding such a fish first or last. In the past I've added a Hippo early, due to the same concern you mention. Now that I've "refined" my QT process, I'm counting on my display tank now being ich free, due to fallow period, and being patient with the QT process and being fairly confident that I won't be introducing a parasite/disease with new fish additions to my display tank.

Comment

There's research that says Copper damages the digestive lining in tangs and you shouldn't use it- no experience but have read this. You have to have a really good copper test kit. I bought the seachem test kit to use with seachem's cupramine and the darn colors are too hard to read- very hard to get the right amount. It also could have been that the ich was in such a late stage that it was too late to save the fish.

The white spots are not ich itself, its the fishes skin reacting to the ich. Once you see spots, the ich is sometimes in too late of a stage to treat.

Ich sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg View Post
                      Both tangs were bought locally. As cool as they are, I'm not sure I'll purchase any more.
                      So cupramine is a bit of a balancing act? It didn't sound as difficult but it is good to know it can be iffy.
                      I can understand your thinking of not purchasing any more tangs. Since I no longer can have angels, due to entering the reef world and can't have them munching on my corals, I just can't also stop having a tang as well, especially since I'm quite fond of the Hippos.

I've never had any issues/concerns with Cupramine treatment. As long as you only dose it, or any other copper product, in a tank separate from your inverts and don't add anything that's been exposed to copper to your display tank (such as live rock, etc), you should be fine as long as you follow the dosing directions. I do use Seachem's copper test to verify the copper level during treatment. Testing isn't required, but it does add a piece of mind. I have read of some aquarists on Reef2Reef who have been able to successfully treat with copper in their display tank, but I'm not willing to go there.
                      Last edited by ablaze; 09-02-2015, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Thanks so much for the info. I'm going to try to find something to use as a quarantine tank tonight. Hopefully craigslist will produce.

No signature required.

Comment

Lowes and a rubbermaid tub work well also

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                          -----Alex & Amanda-----

Comment

I never considered that. I've heard of using tubs as a sump, but didn't think about as a hospital tank. Thanks for the idea!

No signature required.

Comment

The kole died tonight. He was out when I got home but didn't eat, then an hour later he was dead. I'm having trouble finding a tank but am on the hunt. I may head to Lowes....

No signature required.

Comment

What tank are you looking for Greg?

I have a 40b and a 10gal tanks if you need to borrow. I know a guy has six 10gal tanks that I'm sure he will sell for $10 a piece of you are looking to get one that size.

Or if you wanna get a 40b let me know and I'll let you borrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X