Now what?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now what?

After fighting off bryopsis, and getting my tank stocked, in pretty sure I now have ich. What now? I don't have a QT tank, and there are corals in there.

What options do I have? Everyone is eating ok, but it just started. I'm afraid it will get worse and I'm really not sure where to start at this point. [emoji26]

This tank has been a nightmare so far.

No signature required.

I know some people say it doesn't work but I dosed with kordon ich attack. I don't know any other options at this point in time.

No signature required.

Comment

How fast did you stock fish? What fish have it? Cleaner shrimp Imo can help but won't cure. But keep feeding and water quality up. Also keep an eye out for fish harassing one another.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
      -----Alex & Amanda-----

Comment

I spaced the fish out by a week per pair and the last was added 2 weeks ago. My kole tang is the worst, but the yellow tang is showing signs too. The other fish still appear normal.

No signature required.

Comment

I'll go find a cleaner shrimp tomorrow. Is ich attack worth continuing or is it a waste of time and money?

No signature required.

Comment

You'll find plenty of opinions out there as far as how best to treat for ich. Myself, I'm to the point that I'm not comfortable with "managing" ich in my display tank, which means having to deal with it every time stress induces an outbreak in my fish. Earlier this year I had an outbreak and I put all surviving fish into a QT and treated with Cupramine, as directed, and leaving my display tank fallow (no fish, just corals & inverts) for 72 days, to break the ich life cycle. I will never add another fish to my display tank without a minimum of a month in QT, during which I treat with Cupramine & PraziPro, regardless if they show any signs of infection. Previously, I'd put new fish thru QT but only medicate if they showed signs of infection. That bit me in the butt earlier this year, as I had a fish that didn't show any signs of infection, but it was obvious after placing it in my display tank that it was a carrier, as within a couple weeks, the entire tank was infected.

Cleaner shrimp can assist, but that's typically if you're only attempting to "manage" ich in your display tank & not eradicate it. I have no experience with "ich attach".

I wish you well, as I certainly understand the stress of going thru an ich outbreak, as I'm sure most everyone here has as well. It's truly unfortunate that you're having to deal with this so soon after your bryopsis situation. Good luck!

Comment

I wouldn't mind eradicating it, but don't have a tank large enough to take my fish for 72 days. I guess I'd have to have another 75 hanging around.

What's the prognosis on ich? Am I likely to lose most of my fish? Or are the tangs most are risk? I really don't know what I'm getting into at this point.

No signature required.

Comment

I'm considering finding a cheap 55 or 40 gallon to use as a hospital tank. If I can find some one and only, there's a chance I can have it running soon enough to make a difference. In the mean time, I'll just keep feeding.

No signature required.

Comment

Now what?

I actually just dosed my display tank with prazipro that is full of corals and inverts and only had 1 birdsnest coral get "hurt". I think it might be coming back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is it possible to treat the tank as it is, but remove my corals, or is that not as effective?

No signature required.

Comment

I did and I would personally do it again if I needed too but it is probably more effective to do what ablaze does with the added cupramine in a QT but you cannot have any inverts/corals with that.

Comment

Now what?

Another note is none of my fish were showing the white spots. I just had a few cardinals die with a few days and assumed parasite so I rolled the dice on prazipro. It's been 2-3 wks since last treatment (I did 2 wks worth of treatments to kill unhatched eggs) and I haven't lost a fish yet.

Comment

In the future I plan on doing a QT......

Comment

I used no ich marine in the past in the display with success. I have a 6 yr old clown that survived through several treatments of it. And showed no signs of bothering corals.

Just make sure if use the no ich you get the marine version.

-----Alex & Amanda-----

Comment

And in my opinion having a kole tang and yellow tang in that tank together is asking for issues as they are the same sub species of tang and will compete for food with one another.

-----Alex & Amanda-----

Comment

Working...
                              X