Just lost all but 9 of my Tanganyika tank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just lost all but 9 of my Tanganyika tank

Don't know what happened. No more Julis. 3 leleupis. 3 frontosa and two ndole bays. No more duboisi.

I counted about 30 gone plus numerous babies.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear....you doing anything different?

Comment

Did they die after a water change?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Yes changed water yesterday. Lots of death. Tested water at Petco. High nitrates. I always use prime.

Not sure yet what happened.

Comment

The same thing happened to me a couple months back. I did a routine water change the same way I always did in the past and six hours later, I had about 25 deaths. I believe a change in the city water is the culprit.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Could be. However we changed the other two tanks at the same time. They are all doing fine.

I found some rotted Repashy food. I think that moving rocks released a toxin. Not sure though.

Changed about 70% of the water. Prime for double tank capacity. Seems to be perking up the survivors.

Funny, the frontosa are all happy as a clam. Didn't seem to affect them.

Comment

I don't know about Wichita, but I would presume it's the sane thing with Cheney over there as it is here at El Dorado reservoir.

About this time of year, as the water gets cooler, all lakes will "rollover" bringing water from the bottom of the lake and the surface or near surface water going to the bottom.

As this happens, the city has to increase chemicals they use to combat the muddier water, and the smell of the different water. In our case over here, you can smell the increased chlorine, and can see and taste the difference in the water.
              As the lake settles in to the winter, the water slowly goes back to the same way it was before the rollover, to await until spring when it does it all over again.

I would bet that is what killed your fish, a higher concentration of Chlorine, chloramine if Wichita uses it, as well as a host of other chemicals they use when this happens.

Sorry for your loss.

Comment

I just calculated about what it would cost to replace them. Not cheap...

Comment

The survivors are all doing well. I have three frontosa left, two leleupis, two ndole bay tropheus, and a Chinese algae eater. So not all is lost.

Comment

less than 1 out of 1000 chance it was Nitrates.

Next time don't pussyfoot around with the box heads at the Pet box stores and bring water to an expert like me to solve your problem. I'm insulted when you don't take advantage of my free water testing. We figured out DGM's problem without even having to test his water.

Comment

When this happened, we found out in the late evening. I had an engagement to attend and the wife got the water tested. I really had little to do with it until later on that night when I did a massive water change.

After cleaning out all the rocks, I discovered a chunk of uneaten food. That Repashy gel stuff. Apparently it had gone into one of the crevices and rotted. When it got disturbed, it poisoned the tank. It was black and slimy, instead of its normal green color. So, I am pretty sure that was it. A couple massive water changes and leaving the rocks out has straightened it out. However, the inhabitants are not all happy with their bleak surroundings.

I guess at some point I will try to redecorate, but I have kind of lost the desire to for a while.

I also have a new son that is taking all my time.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Pearl Aquatics View Post
                        less than 1 out of 1000 chance it was Nitrates.

Next time don't pussyfoot around with the box heads at the Pet box stores and bring water to an expert like me to solve your problem. I'm insulted when you don't take advantage of my free water testing. We figured out DGM's problem without even having to test his water.
                        No offense but I have been by your shop 6x in past 4 months and always closed. Even after you said would open at 12 and open with regular hours.

Alex
                        -----Alex & Amanda-----

Comment

Just lost all but 9 of my Tanganyika tank

Same here....I drove by many times and never been able to come in because the store is closed.
                          Last edited by JMMJ13902; 12-23-2013, 12:37 AM.

Comment

I've driven twice from El Dorado to see the store and what was offered and yet to get in.

Comment

Are you all talking about the Newton store or the Wichita store. I have been in the Wichita store and thought it is a nice place

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X